The Cathedral, built between 1806 and 1815 in neoclassical style, is the centre of Lutheran worship in the diocese of Kuopio. St. Johannes Church of Männistö, consecrated in 1992, is well worth a visit because of its modern architecture. Juha Leiviskä, the designer of the church, received the most significant architectural award in the world in 1995.
Kuopio is the centre of the Finnish Orthodox church and the seat of its archbishopric. The main Orthodox church, the beautiful St. Nikolaos Cathedral, is situated in the centre of Kuopio.
There are a number of other churches of architectural interest in the Kuopio region and North Savo. Among the most impressive are Muuruvesi Church (built of granite 1901-1904) and Nilsiä Church (built of quartzite and completed in 1906), both of which were designed by Josef Stenbäck in Art Nouveau style and can seat around 1000 worshippers. Stenbäck also designed Vehmersalmi Church, completed in 1920. The Empire style grey-stone church of Leppävirta (1846) was designed by C. L. Engel and has a seating capacity of 2200. Other churches well worth a visit include the wood-built Suonenjoki Church, completed in 1865 and renovated in 1995, the functionalist Säyneinen Church, completed in 1939, and the modern Rautavaara Church, completed in 1982.